Monday, June 29 at 2 p.m. | Patio to Plate: 4th of July Picnic on your Patio
Gardenuity CEO, Donna Letier, would partner with Chef Tiffany Derry, Roots Chicken Shak, to share their recommendations on creating a unique July 4th celebration. Join Donna and Tiffany as they show you how to easily grow and harvest fresh herbs and peppers, and showcase a couple of recipes that everyone can use for entertaining during the upcoming holiday.
Jerk Red Fish
The beautiful thing about jerk recipes is that every household will have a different version. It’s like back home for me every mom makes gumbo different and we all have our favorites. As much as I love jerk chicken every now and then you have to change it up. I prefer to use whole fish for this recipe because the bone lends so much flavor. A lot of jerk recipes use dried seasoning but fresh herbs imparts flavor quickly and without over powering fish. Please make this recipe your own by using whatever herbs you have in fridge. We all don’t live near beaches with perfect weather so don’t worry just heat up that oven and enjoy yourself some jerk fish.
Ingredients and recipe:
3lb Red Fish, gutted and scaled
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 TB allspice
2 pinches nutmeg
2 cloves garlic
.5 bunch cilantro
2 TB ginger
2 TB cup soy
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
.5 bunch parsley
1/2 cup packed basil
A few spigs of mint
1 ea Scotch Bonnet or Habanero
1/4 cup green onion, chopped
1 ea lime, juiced
1. Heat oven to 425 degrees.
2. To make jerk seasoning: In a mortar and pestle or food processor put all ingredient. Pulse all ingredients to where it can make a paste. Set aside.
3. Score fish down to bone so that jerk seasoning will flavor all the way through.
4. Season fish lightly with salt and pepper. Then rub jerk marinade all over fish. Allow to sit for 10-15 minutes. Do not allow to marinate for over 1 hour.
5. In a oven dish lay fish on its side and cook for about 20 minutes. You want the fish to slightly char and cook through.
6. Serve with a wedge of lime and drizzle of olive oil.
All guests will receive class instructions at least 24 hours prior to the DMN Download virtual class.
Questions? Email us at loyaltyrewards@dallasnews. com